Monday, November 24, 2014

Anthony Bourdain feautured Square Pie at Old Spitalfields Market

I really love pies, as in British Savoury Pies, like the one I blogged about from Bag of Beans - which you can read about here. And I really love Anthony Bourdain. I find his foodie recommendations from No Reservations or Layover - Spot On... with the important part being that you can enjoy them without breaking the bank.

So when I normally visit a new place, Anthony Bourdain is one of my research sources. For London, I loved his Square Pie recommendation. 

Square Pie has several branches around London, but the original one is located at Old Spitalfields Market (very near Liverpool Street Station... and on Sunday mornings... this means that you can start your day at Petticoat Lane Market - which you can read about here and move on to brunch at Square Pie).

Walking to Old Spitalfields market, you'll see
Christ Church.
The first building you'll pass is sort of like a covered mall.
You can actually see the church at the back through the glass ceiling. 
Then it will lead you to the Old Spitalfields Market
with the makeshift market stalls.
Selfie first. I look so fresh here. I think I need another
vacation.
Shopping in this market is definitely more expensive,
especially since they can afford merchandising like this.
But the ambiance is definitely nicer, and you can look around without
fear of your bag getting slashed, which definitely happens in Petticoat Lane.
Square Pie is located in one of the sides of the market.
There's a counter where you place your order, then they have tables
outside facing the market stalls where you can enjoy your food.
Oh my, look at those pies!!!
I love it that you can order your pies as Classic or Naked - which has the same yummy filling, without the bottom crust (for a less carb option).

You can order the pie individually, or as a meal served with the classic
British sides.
Your order comes in what looks like a hlaf-sized Pizza Box.
I love it that even Time Out has featured this place.
If you're into multi-tasking, which I told myself I wouldn't
do on this vacation, you can actually check out the shops
in front of you as you eat.
If I'm not mistaken, I ordered the famous Steak and Guiness Pie - NAKED
with a side of the Sausage and Mash. 
Look Ma! No Crust!
With the same sausage you get from a Sausage Roll... but naked too!
It was bloody delish!

Another place that caught my attention on my way out was Verde & Company.
It looked really quaint, but what caught my attention was there was quite a
lot of people around this quaint shop, so I went closer to nose around.
Then I realize, they have Pierre Marcolini, the famous Belgian chocolatier.
Note to self: save this for February, when I'm travelling with chocoholic Ady.

You can learn more about Anthony Bourdain's 24 Hours in London Layover Episode here. I can't wait to go back. See you in 3 months!!! just saying.


SQUARE PIE
OLD SPITALFIELDS MARKET
Spitfire Gate, 105c Commercial Street, London, E1 6BG MAP
Tel: 020 7375 0327 
Monday - Friday: 8.00am - 4.00pm
Saturday: 9.00am - 6.00pm 
Sunday: 8.00am - 6.00pm 
Nearest station: Liverpool Street
http://www.squarepie.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment