Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Sausage and Egg McGriddle vs Chicken and Egg McMuffin Face Off

I love breakfast from McDonald's. When I was still studying in ICA, it would be a treat for us to arrive in school early to meet up with like-minded friends, then go quickly to grab drive-thru from McDonald's before the bell rings for our first class.

My favorite order then was the Sausage and Egg Biscuit, which is no longer sold in the Philippines. For a while, it was even on my To Eat List for Hong Kong since they still have it there. (Note to self, I should order it when I go to Hong Kong in a few weeks if they still have it)

Recently, there's been a lot innovation in the breakfast menu of McDonald's Philippines. It's a good thing social media keeps us all updated on whats new - because it's from the updates of friends that I found out about two new breakfast products that McDonald's offers.

Introducing the Chicken Muffin which is fairly new and
McGriddles which is so new, it's actually only available in some branches.
McGriddles have been available in other countries for
a while now, but I never had a chance to try them.
When given a choice, I always order the Sausage and Egg sandwich.
Both the bottom and top Griddle cakes are marked with the iconic logo.
Wow... this is what a cross section looks like.
For purposes of this face off post, I ate both sandwiches with half the bread off,
so I only consumed half the carbs. Both were also eaten in the car,
fresh from the drive thru or take out window.
If you ask what makes a McGriddle special, it's the bursts of maple syrup,
which is baked into the really soft Griddle Cake. Eat together with something
savoury like Sausage and Cheese, it's the bomb!

So, how does it compare to the Chicken Muffin sandwiches?
Just imagine, a giant chicken nugget, or a McChicken
patty in a muffin - with fried egg.
This sandwich looks and feels less filling than the
McGriddle.
As previously mentioned, I ate it without the top bread,
and fresh from the drive thru window.
It was so yummy! I really enjoyed it.

Face-Off Verdict:
If you're a fan of Sweet and Savoury combos, then your definitely must try the McGriddles. However, I am not that much of a fan of sweet bread in general, so unless you bite into the correct spot with the burst of sweetness and contrasting savoury taste, I'm not too impressed.

However, I think that the Chicken Egg Muffin really hits the spot. So this wins the face off challenge for me. It's even better than a McChicken Sandwich!


The McGriddles are available for a limited time in the Philippines from the following McDonald's branches:

Navotas
Sun Mall Welcome Rotonda
Farmer's Market
Pioneer Reliance
Ortigas Extension Cainta
Quirino
Granada
Tarlac Hi-way
Sto. Tomas Batangas
Dona Soledad
Bankmer (along Ayala Ave)
Lucky Chinatown
Matalino
San Pedro
Binan
Blue Ridge
Las Pinas Talon
Project 8
Angeles Intersection


I'm happy I now have more McDonald's breakfast options. It would probably still be a toss-up between my classic order of Sausage and Egg McMuffin or my new favorite Chicken and Egg McMuffin. just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment