Saturday, November 15, 2014

Kapeng Barako and Tablea from Batangas

In my line of work, there are times when I need to go out to the market... figuratively and sometimes literally too... like when I visited the Batangas City Public Market. 

I wasn't really planning to buy anything, but with my shopaholic genes, I normally always find something to buy no matter where I go. In this case, a simple Public Market visit yielded me with Kapeng Barako and Tablea (Cocoa balls used to make Hot Chocolate).

Proof that we came here for work. Hahahaha. You can see the most
saleable brands enjoy the biggest frontage. (Sorry I couldn't resist).
Since the store that sells FMCG products also sells
 Barako Coffee which they grind to your desired fineness on
the premises, you can't help but get distracted by the smell.
Kapeng Barako are made from Liberica Beans, which originated from Liberia
in West Africa during the Spanish times. It was planted in Lipa and it
flourished due to it's high altitude.
Liberica Beans are among the biggest in bean size compared to other
coffee varieties.
The store we visited were manned by a Husband and Wife Team.
The old man was so nice, he even offered me free taste of their Tableya -
which he was boasting you could it raw (without adding anything)!
I was so afraid to try it! Tablea is used to make really rich Hot Cocoa and it's normally on the bitter side. I was scared that I wouldn't like it and I would need to pretend that I did so as not to hurt anyone's feelings but surprisingly, the Tablea was really good.

I remembered to take a picture for the blog when it was more than half gone!
In the Market, you can also buy the Tableya per piece for your immediate
consumption.
Their Tablea is different because they sell it in balls instead of tablets,
but no complaints since it's good anyway. I can't wait to try it as hot cocoa.
Kapeng Barako gets its name because of the Strong Coffee taste,
and was it really strong! I brewed it the only way I know how,
by using a Moka and making it espresso style.
It was so rich, I had to make it a Latte.
Since I used a three cup espresso maker, and I finished it all, I think I was palpitating!

The next weekend, I dug up my cute French Press from Typo and brewing
a heaping tablespoon of coffee with 300ml water is just right to have it black.

Nice to know I don't need to go all the way to Italy of France to get my fix of good coffee.  just saying.


Cesar & Auring SOLIS Kapeng Barako
Stall 141, Batangas Public Market
B. Luna Street, Batangas City 
4200, Batangas
(043) 706 2256

No comments:

Post a Comment