Sunday, November 23, 2014

Frozen Steak and Chicken Pies from Bag of Beans

One of the places I like visiting if I find myself in Tagaytay, is Bag of Beans. I've blogged about it a few years back, which you can read about here, and I've always been a fan of their savoury pies, so when we attend an afternoon wedding in Tagaytay a few weeks back, we planned to have lunch at Bag of Beans.

They now have more than one branch in Tagaytay, the newer one is closer to the Rotonda and located on the other side of the highway. I still prefer the old branch though because I really like the garden, homey feel.

Traffic was really bad, so it was already around 2:30pm when we got to Bag of Beans and the wedding where Sofia was flower girl was supposed to start at 3:00pm, and we really had to stop because our last meal was breakfast before leaving Manila at 10:30am.

I just asked them to hurry up with our orders because we needed to rush to the church. Our server recommended the pies because this takes very little prep time.

I ordered a Steak and Mushroom Pie which was as good as I remember.
Then I also tried their Shepherd's Pie but I wasn't impressed.

For Sofia and her yaya, I ordered more filling food.
I ordered Crispy Chicken and Fries for Sofia - which she didn't like, but I had
her leftovers the next day - and it was well-seasoned but just a bit over cooked.
I ordered Beef Tapa for Yaya and she said it was good.
The servings were very generous.

To bring home, I bought Raisin bread, which they are known for, and since they now have Wheat Raisin bread, I also bought that to try as well.
I immediately had the Wheat Raisin Bread the next day while it was still
fresh.
It goes so well with Greek Yogurt and Honey, and buttered lightly with
Cream Cheese. I had it with Kapeng Barako brewed in a French Press.
We even brought a cooler so I could bring home a few frozen pies.
It traveled well, but it's a bit weird that it doesn't even come with re-heating
instructions. I even looked on their website, but I don't think such a thing exists.
I think we just toasted it for 10 mins, and put it back in when it was a bit
too cold.
I just ate it with my usual tomato and basil salad.
My mom's is still better of course! But this isn't too bad for something
that you don't need to make by yourself.
We also tried their steak pie and while it doesn't look that good,
I think the sauce keeps it more moist.

Over-all, I'd say, it's totally worth it to bring home Bag of Beans Frozen Pies. If you're only in Tagaytay for a short time, this means that you can just stop by quickly to buy some, to free yourself to try some of the other restaurants in the area. Just don't forget to bring a cooler. just saying.



Bag of Beans Coffee Shop
115 Aguinaldo Highway
Mendez Crossing West
Tagaytay City

No comments:

Post a Comment