Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Royal China at Raffles for Really Good Dimsum

When my friend Tiana, and her mom, visited us in Singapore, they wanted to eat really good DimSum so I did some research and found that Royal China at Raffles had dimsum for weekend brunch. They had good reviews online which mentions that the food and ambiance were great and the prices were reasonable so it was a place that we wanted to try.

Raffles hotel is a landmark in Singapore.
It's exudes a posh old-world vibe.
There are some areas that are restricted for hotel residents to enjoy.
It has a lot of open courtyards.
I think these are already the guest rooms surrounding it.
A fountain in one of the courtyards.
Tiana and her mom.
It looks and feels like a well-preserved gigantic old house.
A sign on top of one of the shops.
The Raffles Hotel is home to the Singapore Sling.
Note to self: Maybe trying this should go on my Must Do list before leaving.
Raffles Courtyard with a bar and outdoor tables.

It was nice walking through Raffles Hotel to get to the restaurant on the third floor of the Raffles Shopping Arcade.

The restaurant.
The interesting thing is that Royal China at Raffles
is a branch of a top  Chinese restaurant operator from London.
We reserved a table for 11:00am, their first lunch sitting.
We were the first to arrive.
Sofia is not necessarily a fan of early brunch.

I left the ordering to Tiana, with some requests here and there.

I requested for BBQ puff pastry, which is my favorite dimsum.
Baked BBQ Pork Puff SG$4.80 (Php160)
It was TO-DIE-FOR! Definitely the best I've had in Singapore.
The crust was light and barely-there while the pork was nice and flavorful.
I normally love Deep Fried Taro Puffs so we ordered this variation.
Deep Fried Yam Puff with Scallop in Portuguese Sauce (SG$5.60 or Php185)
It was also very good. It felt light even if it's deep fried.
The Portuguese Sauce is inside.
Auntie ordered Steamed Chicken Claws in Spicy Sauce (SG$4.30 or Php142).
She said it was really tender, she even ordered another one.
We had double orders of the main staples to ensure Sofia had food.
Steamed Minced Pork Dumpling with Wolfberry (SG$5.60 or Php185)

They serve the dimsum with Chili Sauce, but no soy sauce or calamansi.
I guess I could have asked but I didn't.
The dimsum was so good, you don't really miss it.

We also had Garlic Spinach to make it a healthier meal.
The Steamed Dumpling with Vegetable and Mild Mushroom  (SG$5.40 or Php180)
head really fine dumpling skin, it broke when you tried to lift it.
This was my dimsum plate of all my favorites.
We had two orders of Steamed Prawn Dumpling (SG$5.60 or Php185).
Because it's Sofia's favorite dimsum.
I didn't try it but I heard that it's just ordinary hakaw.
Group picture with almost empty plates.
We ordered Royal China Signature Baked BBQ Pork Bun (SG$4.80 or Php 160)
because it's only available on Sundays and Public Holidays.
The bread was very soft and the pork tasty.
I prefer the pastry version but then that's just me.
We ordered the Steamed Bun with Salted Egg Yolk and Fresh Mango Juice (SG$4.80 or Php160).
They served it last so I guess it's eaten as dessert.
This is what it looks when you split it in half.
We were unable to enjoy it much because we were so full.
Sofia with Auntie Tiana and Mumsy.
This time with me and our leftovers.
The restaurant filled up.
Auntie Tiana and Sofia clowning around.
Group picture before heading home to the Underwater World in Sentosa.
Thanks for the yummy lunch Auntie Terry and Tiana!
Auntie with the Raffles Courtyard view from the second floor.
You can have a garden wedding here!
The hallway of the shopping arcade.
Auntie and I just relaxed over Coffee and the Sunday papers
while our kids (her KID is my age!) went to Underwater world.
I snacked on the Salted Egg and Mango Juice Bun when I got hungry.
I was able to appreciate it more.
The mango was subtle but it stops the salted egg from being oeverpowering.

If only I discovered Royal China at Raffles earlier, I'm sure it would have been part of our favorite restaurants in Singapore list. Just Saying.


Royal China at Raffles

03-09 Raffles Hotel Arcade 
Raffles Hotel  
1 Beach Rd, 189673

Lunch
Monday to Saturday - 12.00 noon to 3.00 pm 
Sunday and Public Holiday - 11.00 am to 2.00 pm 
Dinner
Daily - 6.00 pm to 10.30 pm

Dress Code 
Smart Casual

Reservations 
Tel: (65) 6338 3363

No comments:

Post a Comment